Jayme Kelly Curtis (pronounced JAY-me)
Original contemporary folk/jazz; expressive, blues-infused female vocals. An earthy blend of original "folkloric jazz" Bonnie Raitt meets Sting.
Clips and EPK at SonicBids
City of Origin
Felton, Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA.
Jayme writes, records and performs in Northern California. She is frequently accompanied by renowned players and is known for giving them plenty of room to stretch out and improvise on smokey folky rocking originals with a jazzy sensibility . Jayme is also an avid song collector and participates in several cover bands. Her many side interests include Uke Be A Lady , a swing ukulele/violin trio, the folk duo Dulcimer Girls , and the psychedelic "blusey grass"stylings of the And Friends Band . Locally, Jayme averages 50 or more performances annually and enjoys a growing reputation for warm, meaningful showcases featuring literate, soulful songs and the Bay Area's best instrumentalists. Jayme also has a talent for producing innovative split bill showcases and "in the round" events, and enjoys introducing her audience to new talent.
• Jayme's third studio release of original recordings, Mid Life Chrysalis was released in July, 2008
• Jayme's second CD, Sugar & Sand , released in 2004, has won glowing reviews from national trade publications and radio airplay in many corners of the world.
• Released in 1999, Jayme's debut CD, In A Rushing Stream , has won favorable reviews and international airplay, and took top honors in the Best Music You Never Heard show on KGO Radio, San Francisco. The CD was engineered by Bay Area rock legend Dave Meniketti.
• Old Ways Are Leaving, by the folk duo Duclimer Girls, was released November, 2008
• Show Us Your Ukes (2009) The first recorded collection of songs played by members of the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz features a studio recording of Jayme's song "Swept Away," which also appears in the documentary film "Mighty Uke"
Feathers in Jayme's Cap
• Placements on Country Music Television, the Travel Channel, A&E, Fine Living Network, Logo, and PBS. Notable programs include Martha, Anthony Bourdain, and Taste of America
• Live performance of original song "Swept Away" in the MIGHTY UKE MOVIE ; World Premiere at 10th Annual Woodstock Film Festival 2009, Audience Choice at Whistler Film Festival, 2009
• ASCAP Plus Award Winner
• Documented airplay on numerous terrestrial stations in the U.S., plus many overseas radio stations, and countless Internet stations
• Endorsing Artist for Elixir Guitar Strings/W.L. Gore & Associates 2000 - 2005
• Performing Member of Indiegrrl.com. Among top 40 of 300 submissions
• Finalist , GuitarGirls.com Songwriting Contest
• Founder , Boulder Creek Acoustic Music Society; Contributing Member, California Coast Music Camp and Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz; Volunteer, Bread & Roses
• Working Musician , performing a wide variety of styles with several different bands
• Multi-instrumentalist : Guitar, Dulcimer, Concert & Baritone Ukulele, Mandolin, Pennywhistle, Harmonica
Kuumbwa Jazz Center, Don Quixote's International Music Hall, Cayuga Vault, Henflings International Folk & Acoustic Music concert series, Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium, Espresso Garden & Café, Fiddling Cricket Concert Series, Rose Street House of Music, Palo Alto Festival of the Arts, Boulder Creek Art & Wine Festival, Loch Lomond Highland Games.
"Catch this pure-voiced singer now, and it will be like you were lucky enough to see the Dixie Chicks when they were playing street corners. "
Brad Kava, Music Critic, San Jose Mercury News
"Fantastic songs, good musicians, and most of all, a brilliant voice."
Dirk Stursberg, Radio 98.6, Berlin, Germany